Re: Qt plot widget improvements

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Qt plot widget improvements
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:46:39 -0800

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 13:27:25 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I have checked in a relatively large change that provides better interaction
> with the mouse for the Qt plot widget:
>
>   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/dfea01b3425f
>
> The pan, rotate3d, and zoom functions are now linked with the corresponding
> button on the Qt plot widget.
>
> The mouse mode can currently be set to "pan", "rotate", or "zoom".
>
> Panning and zooming work with the mouse wheel when the mode is set to pan or
> zoom, respectively.

I think zooming with the mouse wheel is correct in FLTK but backwards in
Qt currently.

This page also mentions Shift + mouse click when in zoom mode should
zoom out:

  http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/zoom.html

It also states that the right-click action is programmable. It can
either zoom out or pop up a context menu, via a settable property. And
the user can even provide their own context menu to override the
default. The default context menu is described here:

  http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/creating_plots/enlarging-the-view.html

And there's the open question of which interactive mode should be the
default when a 2D or 3D plot first appear. FLTK and Qt are both in a
none-of-the-above mode for both 2D and 3D plots for now, although FLTK
allows right-drag to zoom, we might want to do away with that. That was
presumably done to be closer to what Gnuplot does, which we can't
control? See also bug #40251.

Can someone with Matlab report what the default behavior is for both 2D
and 3D plots when they first appear? What do left mouse click and
click-and-drag do? What do right mouse click and click-and-drag do?

--
mike