Re: bls* functions

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: bls* functions
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 22:16:10 +0000

CC'ing Parsiad Azimzadeh which I think may not be subscribed to the mailing
list yet.  While it is true that you don't need to be subscribed to send
emails, you should be subscribed or you may miss some of the replies.

On 15 February 2015 at 10:55, Oliver Heimlich <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 14.02.2015 um 19:53 schrieb Parsiad Azimzadeh:

>>> Hi Parsiad
>>>
>>> the problem is that the financial package does not have a maintainer to
>>> make the new releases.  I have made small contributions to it in the past
>>> (including reviewing your patches), but that was for fun only.  I am not
>>> a user of the financial package and do not want to take the responsability
>>> of its maintenance.
>>>
>>> Without a maintainer, the financial package may even be eventually removed
>>> from the list of Octave Forge packages.  If you have an interest on the
>>> package, are familiar with the subject, and are willing to take the
>>> responsability, the package is yours.
>>>
>>> Please keep the mailing list CC'ed when you reply.  You don't need to be
>>> subscribed to the mailing list.  Your email will then go into a moderation
>>> queue (which may slow down the communication)
>>>
>>> Carnë
>>>

>> Yes, this sounds like something I would be interested (maintaining the
>> package). Let me know what I have to do.
>
> Parsiad,
>
> you can find general information for GNU mantainers here:
> https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html
>
> As a GNU Octave package maintainer, your most important responsibility is to
> decide when the package is ready for a new release. Having sufficient unit
> tests for all functions of the package helps a lot finding regressions
> between Octave core releases or between changes to the package.
>
> You should especially be familiar with the package release process [1],
> guidelines for contributing code [2], and guidelines for commit messages
> [3].
>
> [1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
> [2]
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html
> [3] http://wiki.octave.org/Commit_message_guidelines
>
> I have become a package maintainer recently. Something which I
> underestimated at first: You should also get familiar with Texinfo [4],
> which is essential for writing a good documentation of the package.
>
> [4] http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/
>
> In case of further questions, the maintainer mailing list is a great place
> for finding help.
>
> Best regards
> Oliver

I think Oliver already pointed out most of them.  You should start by
cloning the current repository of the financial package and check if you
can create a tarball from it.

You should also subscribe to the maintainers mailing list.  There is a fair
amount of discussion which may not be of interest to you but there are also
occasional important notices for package maintainers.

Carnë