Re: Error building logos

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Error building logos
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:33:16 -0500

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 18:00:05 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I ended up with a zero sized octave-logo.ico file because $(ICOTOOL) wasn't
> defined, so it tried to run the command "create" and ignored the error about
> that command not being available, and then it went ahead and did the "mv
> file-t file" command.  I was confused at first, but then realized that if
> $(ICOTOLL) is undefined, the command $(ICOTOOL) --create ... becomes
> --create ... and the leading -- is just telling make to ignore any errors
> from the command.

Yes, those commands shouldn't be empty.

> We could use the "missing" function for these commands.  Something like:
>
>   ICOTOOL = $(SHELL) $(top_srcdir)/build-aux/missing @ICOTOOL@
>
> in build-aux/common.mk should do it?

Done, slightly differently,

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/bc2a8db22831

> Also, I don't see a substitution target for ICOTOOL (i.e., @ICOTOOL@)
> anywhere in the sources.  Am I missing something?

I don't know that it needs to be stated, my understanding is that all
AC_SUBST names show up in every Makefile automatically (no need to
declare "FOO = @FOO@" for example).

> Similarly, the .png files were all the output of the "w" command for me,
> because I didn't have the rsvg convert tool.

So now make reports the missing tools and errors appropriately when it
hits etc/icons. If this becomes annoying, we can change it so make just
skips building the icons if the tools aren't found (like doc is skipped
if you don't have makeinfo).

--
mike