Re: silent rules and warnings

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: silent rules and warnings
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 01:53:54 -0500

On 02/20/2015 07:27 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 17:32:33 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:

Is there any objection to enabling silent rules by default?

Yes please! :) I always build with V=0 for that same reason (and
looking forward to trying the build with your latest changes).

I doubt there's anything we could do about the warnings from
flex-generated code. However, to silence those warnings specifically
we could drop a #pragma at the top of the generated file to disable
the old-style-cast or unused-parameter or whichever warnings trigger
for that one file.

OK, I went ahead and enabled silent rules by default. After thinking about it a bit, I don't see anything negative about doing it and it's easy to undo if it somehow turns out to cause trouble.