Re: Octave web update

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave web update
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 15:11:21 +0000

On 21 February 2015 at 13:45, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Feb 20, 2015, at 22:27, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:57:25 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>> The web site is actually a CVS repo:
>>>
>>>    https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=octave
>>>
>>> I believe that all of us with Octave membership on Savannah actually
>>> have the ability to edit this repo and hence edit our web pages.
>>
>> Ah, ok. Yes, looks like I can at least check out, thanks. So committing
>> to cvs updates the site automatically? Does the root directory of the
>> cvs repo have to be the root directory of the site? Does it have to be
>> cvs? :)
>>
>> I now have the new web site design running at
>>
>>  https://mtmxr.com/octave-beta/
>>
>> Please take a look everyone, let me know what needs to be fixed, what
>> you like and don't like, etc. Yes, there are some broken links, and the
>> news items are way out of date. I'll be hacking on this and updating it
>> periodically.
>
> This what I see in Safari/iPhone
>
> I assume there is a formatting problem?

I have a similar formatting problems with chrome on a mobile
phone. The current website displays perfectly though.

But even in a desktop, I don't really think the new design is better
than the current one. What problem exactly is the new design trying
to solve?

The main part of the website that I think we could improve is the
manual [1]. Would be nice to have a page for each function,
a search box, and make available the documentation for older
versions.

Carnë

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/