Re: Icons for the GUI

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Icons for the GUI
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:10:28 -0500

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 15:42:27 -0600, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> What icons are people referring to?  It seemed to me that at first the
> Octave GUI was supplying it's own icons, but Qt has many definitions for
> standard operations like "open", "clipboard", "alert", etc.  When these are
> used, the icons match the look and feel of the user's desktop.

My recollection is you are correct that the user's desktop theme will
indeed be preferred when you use standard icon names. But I don't
think that works if you need a non-standard icon, say an icon for "set
a breakpoint" (just to pick a random example). Or if you run on an
older system that may not have an up to date set of icon names. Or if
you run on Windows. So Octave must include a default set of icons as
an internal fallback for when the theme fails to provide a named icon.

--
mike