Re: Octave web update

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Octave web update
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 08:32:09 +0000

On 21/02/15 15:11, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 21 February 2015 at 13:45, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Feb 20, 2015, at 22:27, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:57:25 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
The web site is actually a CVS repo:

But even in a desktop, I don't really think the new design is better
than the current one. What problem exactly is the new design trying
to solve?

Marketing? Not a problem if you don't care if anyone uses Octave I suppose.

The new website makes it look like the project is well supported, including by a wider community than just the core developers working on the code. This gives confidence to new users in the viability and continuation of the project, for which the website is the first point of contact with the project.

It is an unfortunate fact of the world that if you care about people using your software you have to make pretty pictures and stuff to advertise it. It gives the 'feel' of a project that's not just going to disappear to new users, particularly enterprise, if this is a market you are interested in. Unfortunately it's just not enough for the product itself to be great.

The newer website looks amazing and was clearly produced by someone who knows how to make a great (and professional) looking site. I for one think use should be made of the fantastic effort, rather than throw it in the bin and discourage anyone else with the relevant skills bothering to help in the future?

Just my thoughts,
Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.