Re: Icons for the GUI

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Icons for the GUI
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:21:25 +0100

On 01.03.2015 03:08, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 02/28/2015 11:50 AM, Torsten wrote:
>
>>> I am preparing a patch for testing that uses the icons from the current
>>> theme and as a fallback (windows and mac) the tango icons. Since there
>>> exists a naming convention for icon files we can easily switch to
>>> another icon set.
>>>

>> The patch is ready for test and can be found at
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8614
>>
>> Under windows, the location of the necessary qt-dlls for svg-icons is
>> important. They are currently located in subdirectories of "plugins" in
>> the installation directory. The icons are only visible in windows when
>> "plugin" is located in the "bin" directory.
>
> This change looks good to me.  Is there any reason not to commit it?

The problem with the svg-icons on windows should be fixed before, i.e.:

- Putting the directory "plugins" in the right location or
- generating png-files from the svg-files before compiling the gui

I think the first one would be the best way but there are several
possible locations given in the internet (e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4318990/svg-icons-not-showing-up-in-qt-release-build-in-windows)
and on my system, I only get one working and the success depends on the
executed file (octave.bat, octave-gui.exe or octave.exe). If the
behavior really varies with the target system, this might be hard to fix.

Torsten