Re: Copying Matlab mouse behavior

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Copying Matlab mouse behavior
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:37:01 -0800

On 03/03/2015 01:44 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Re: Qt graphics zooming
From:
Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden>
Date:
03/03/2015 12:47 PM
To:
address@hidden
7bit
Message:
7

John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/03/2015 01:28 PM, Rik wrote:

This works well when using single mouse clicks.  I would add the same
code to the canvasWheelEvent so that mouse wheel zoom is also based on
the current location.

-- Canvas.cc:795 --
// FIXME: should we zoom about point for 2D plots?

ap.zoom (mode, factor);
-- End Code --

It looks like that may have been intended.
... [show rest of quote]

I'm not sure that's how Matlab works.  Maybe someone else can verify?

I don't really care one way or the other, but if we diverge from what
Matlab does, I expect we'll get a bug report about it...

Let's limit Matlab compatibility to being able to run Matlab code.

If we extend it to mouse gestures etc, we can as well copy verbatim the entire Matlab GUI, just to avoid bug reports about that :-)

I happen to agree.  I think the FLTK behavior is much better.  I find it unmotivating to have to code stuff that I think is broken to begin with.

I find the way mouse zooming works in fltk very intuitively (zooming w. mouse wheel relative to mouse pointer, right-button drag to zoom w/o the need for separate zoom buttons); I feel little need to sacrifice such functionality to arrive at how current Matlab (r2015a prerelease) works.
At ML's File Exchange there's even a utility to improve ML's zooming behavior to more or less like Octave/fltk works (http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/25666-mouse-friendly-figure).

BTW Why was mouse_wheel_zoom deprecated? Also for ML compatibility? I find it a quite useful function.

The functionality is still present--just change the figure property "mousewheelzoom".  But maybe we still want a convenient user function to tweak it in the same way that pan and rotate3d really just change figure properties.

--Rik