Re: generate_html: utf-8 texinfo broken

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: generate_html: utf-8 texinfo broken
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:15:18 +0100

Julien Bect wrote:
Le 06/03/2015 14:01, Colin Macdonald a écrit :
I'm using utf-8 unicode in my texinfo docs for Symbolic package.  Mostly
works fine within Octave---except on Windows which is
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?43099 which is on the list for 4.0.

However, "get_html_options" from the generate_html pkg is hardcoding a
iso-8859-1 header, so online my unicode renders as garbage.

"makeinfo --html" respects the texinfo tag "@documentencoding UTF-8" so
there is no problem at that level.

Sure. Actually, even without a @documentencoding, the output of makeinfo
is marked as utf-8.

Should I patch generate_html pkg?  I could presumably make it check
@documentencoding...

Personally, I feel life it too short to care about non-utf-8: would
hardcoding to utf-8 instead be frowned upon?

The problem is already solved in the development version of generate_html.

http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/generate_html/ci/bc4bd4215c680ecc1fec89a772169cd018806659/

That broke a few things :-)

I'm trying to generate html for the linear-algebra package and that breaks in html_help_text.m as the fix assumes there's always a charset defined. In many texinfo headers there isn't.
As a consequence L.91 of html_help_text errors out.

Changeset attached,

Philip