Re: imshow problem under OS X

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: imshow problem under OS X
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 14:48:19 +0000

On 9 March 2015 at 14:10, Marius Schamschula <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carnë,
>
> On Mar 9, 2015, at 6:11 AM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 9 March 2015 at 11:03, Marius Schamschula <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> The GraphicsMagick issue is separate from the imshow issue: I get a warning
>>> regardless of if GraphicsMagick is built with a depth of 8 or 16 bits.
>>>

>> As you should. You will not have a warning if you build it with
>> quantum-depth 32
>> (but then all your images will take 4 times more memory during the reading
>> and
>> writing --- but not after the reading or writing).
>>
>> Carnë
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> The MacPorts default is 8 bit. When I checked the Octave wiki [1], it
> suggested to pass --with-quantum-depth=16 to configure. I rebuilt
> GraphicsMagick with this setting and again saw the warning. The wiki
> needs to be updated.

No it does not.  Unless you really have 32bit image files, you do not want
to build with quantum depth 32.  And even if you, I'd recommend you use 2
different builds, one with 32 and another with 16 (or maybe 8).

If you build with quantum-depth 32, your images will take up 4 times more
more memory during the reading.  And that's the uncompressed size.  Using
quantum-depth 16 is a good compromise, it will keep the vast majority of
users happy without causing a massive memory overhead.

I wrote some text on the wiki's Debian page about it [1]

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/GraphicsMagick#Quantum_depth