Re: pkg() in 4.0.0-rc1 breaks building of some packages

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: pkg() in 4.0.0-rc1 breaks building of some packages
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:47:17 +0100

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:23:11AM -0400, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 15:19:26 +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > As the end user, you can call `setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 1` in the Octave
> > > shell before doing the pkg install, that should translate to --jobs=1.
> > > So in this sense it is already an option that the end user has control
> > > over.
> > >
> > This is good to know! but as you see, it is not cristal clear for
> > everybody. I think pkg() could be more useful if it provided a
> > solution...maybe just calling the line you just provided.
>
> Sure, I don't think there's anything wrong with adding an option to wrap
> that setting.
>
> > I personally think pkg() needs a refactoring and I was involved in it
> > while it lasted. I will behappy to give it another go if we believe
> > pkg() will be the "inside octave" tool for the user to handle
> > packages.
>
> Completely agree. I remember you guys working on that project and still
> hope that it makes its way back to us!
>
> I was just pointing out that there are solutions for Olaf's problem and
> that pkg probably doesn't need to be urgently changed for 4.0.

For the record, I didn't post this because it's "my problem"; the
Makefile is already changed, and a decent Makefile probably shouldn't
have this problem. The point is that the _default_ should be "no
parallel builds", since pkg() can be used to compile any package, not
only those of OF.

My suggestion is to just drop the --jobs option unconditionally, this
change is small, a few lines to be deleted. Most packages are not so
large that parallel building is a great advantage, so it's barely
worth to have an additional pkg option for it -- IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

Olaf