GSoC/SoCiS: general maximum entropy algoritm

From: Tomasz Ożański
Subject: GSoC/SoCiS: general maximum entropy algoritm
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 13:44:57 +0100

Hello,

My name is Tomasz and I'm PhD student in Computer Science. I familiar with Octave since I use it almost every day for my research.

However there are still some functionalities I would love to have, one of them is maximum entropy method (MEM) algorithms. They are frequently used in signal processing (image deconvolution, spectral estimation, smoothing, estimating probability distribution, time series analysis and much more...)

I believe I would be able write a general algorithm for maximum entropy reconstruction for octave under Google Summer of Code or Summer of Code in Space program. A base would probably be the work of Skilling and Bryan[1].

I will try to write the details of the project on my wiki user page (ozzy).

What I would like to know is if you are interested in this sort of functionality in Octave?. I know there are few specialized maximum-entropy based algorithms in some Matlab toolboxes and other computational software packages, but I haven't found an implementation of a general maximum-entropy algorithm anywhere.

greetings,
--
Tomasz Ożański

[1] http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1984MNRAS.211..111S