Re: octave-4.0.0-rc2 windows binary seems to be uploded

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: octave-4.0.0-rc2 windows binary seems to be uploded
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:54:45 -0400

On Thu, 2015-03-26 at 17:39 +0100, Giorgio De Nunzio wrote:
> Moreover I am not paid by The Mathworks...

You probably are, in a way. They probably give your educational
institution licenses at a lower cost. This is a sort of payment from
their point of view. Doubtlessly you also get offered "seminars" from
the Mathworks where they "teach" you how to use more advanced (and
more expensive) features. Educators are the forefront of Matlab
marketing.

The Mathworks of course hopes that by giving students easy access to
Matlab, they will go on to demand more expensive licenses when they
get jobs at bigger companies who can pay more.

I don't have anything to add to the rest of your points, but I do
encourage you to consider the growing trend to use languages other
than Matlab as an introduction to scientific computing. There are many
good reasons to do so.

- Jordi G. H.