Re: interested in "image IO" for GSoC 2015

From: Daniel
Subject: Re: interested in "image IO" for GSoC 2015
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:41:22 -0400

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Daniel <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
Again, please keep maintainers mailing list on CC, and write your
reply at the bottom.

On 26 March 2015 at 08:57, Daniel <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
>> > components would be introduced. I am not sure if this could be in line
>> > with
>> > the big picture of the development of Octave. But of course, we only add
>> > what we really need to do; some balance can be made, just towards yet
>> > another Matlab, enhanced one. Anyway, I personally think this is
>> > fantastic.
>> > My question would be, in which way it is more performance-wise and/or
>> > effort-wise efficient or more manageable to write plugins/packages,
>> > using
>> > java, macro, or C++ or .m? I have not done further investigation. I only
>> > find several java source files in Octave. I will study it further.
>>
>> macros? There's no macros in Octave.  Other than that, an Octave package
>> can have C++ and m files intermixed.  I have never written java code for
>> Octave but take a look at how the old Octave java package did it.
>>
>> Again, I am unsure we have mentors for this project, so you better have
>> something sightly working and a good plan so we get an idea of what the
>> project encompasses if you want it to be accepted.
>>
>> >     Lastly, I am fully aware of the fact that the summer project
>> > requires
>> > full-time commitment. That's not an issue for me. The nature of my
>> > current
>> > work at NYU determines my flexible working schedule, especially in the
>> > summer, I can focus on the summer project for sure. Personally, I also
>> > want
>> > to take this opportunity to push myself in programming and software
>> > design.
>> > Contributing to the open source community is a great way to go.
>> >
>> >     I will let you know my progress when I have something can show you.
>> >
>> >     Thanks,
>> >
>> >     Daniel
>> >
>> > [1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.imagej/35079
>> > [2]
>> >
>> > http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/ImageJ-reads-reversed-bits-from-unsigned-16-bit-TIFF-saved-by-imwrite-from-GNU-Octave-td5010285.html
>> > [3] http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab-compiler-sdk/index.html
>> > [4]
>> >
>> > http://blogs.mathworks.com/community/2009/07/06/calling-java-from-matlab/
>> > [5] http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/290176
>> > [6] https://kenai.com/projects/octave-imagej
>> > [7] http://bigwww.epfl.ch/sage/soft/mij/
>> > [8] http://fiji.sc/Miji
>> > [9] https://github.com/imagej/imagej-matlab.
>> >

> Morning,
>
> I did some more research about with octave. There are some issues that I did
> not expect. Also I am afraid it is difficult to find an available mentor in
> that area.
>
> I am generally interested in the suggested project ImageIO, and if possible,
> if no else take it, I am also interested in the N-d image processing. I
> would like to start with you specifically. But I am sorry it might be late
> to prove myself given the limited time recently.

If you don't even submit a patch, then we you will not be selected.  The
application deadline is tomorrow.  We then have until 13 of April to rank
and select students.
I have been working on imtranslate and imadjust, I mentioned the progress in my wiki @octave, http://wiki.octave.org/User:Daniel
I will continue working on it during the time and submit the patches. That is on my TODO list.

> I just want to avoid any
> conflict, I would like to write the template application before the deadline
> about the ImageIO project, (or also N-d image processing project), if so far
> no other student works on it.

As far as I am aware, no one else is applying for those projects.  But
please, do not think that there's a slot for every project, or that we
will select a student just because there's no one else.

> And I will also reply this email regarding to
> this, in the list, after your confirmation.

Carnë

I really appreciate the comments and suggestion, this is *exactly* what I want. I would like to improve myself and give back to the community; I have been using Octave since 2007. Please find my wiki template here: http://wiki.octave.org/User:Daniel
I will update it when I can and also submit the form on google as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot! Any comments are more than welcome!

Daniel

Hi Carnë,

I apologize I had to submit the the application before you proof-read it. I am not sure if you could access the Proposal Form yet, from Google Melange. If not, you can refer to my wiki. The proposal in the Melange, is an enhanced version of the content in my wiki page < http://wiki.octave.org/User:Daniel>. The proposal is not editable at this moment, but it can be changed upon request with Google Melange. While I am updating my wiki, and improving imtranslate and imadjust, if you have any suggestion, I would like to hear to improve my official proposal.

Cheers,

Daniel