Re: @example's as doctests

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: @example's as doctests
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 16:23:52 -0400

On Sat, 2015-03-28 at 17:56 +0000, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> (Aside: can you tell from these patches if these are on the right branch
> for submitting?  None of this should be for 4.0 I assume)

Yes, look at the patch header. This part:

    # Branch list

That tells me that you're trying to put this on a branch named "list"
that you just created. I assume this was your private name for patches
intended for the mailing list?

This is a git habit. In Mercurial, you don't need to create named
branches to submit new features. In Mercurial, branch names are
recorded as part of the metadata of each commit on that branch, hence
that warning you may have seen about branches being permanent and
global. Thus you can't delete branch names without editing each commit
on that branch.

Instead, just branch anonymously, i.e., don't do anything, just
commit. Optionally, if you want to use some sort of name to refer to
your local line of development, use a bookmark. Bookmarks are movable
and removable markers that follow you along as you make commits.

I recommend running `hg log -G` regularly to see how your commits are
related to each other. If you're interested in more advanced topics, I
have a little blog post you might like:

   http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/customising-mercurial-like-a-pro/

As to the actual content of your patch, I will respond to that in a
forthcoming email.

- Jordi G. H.