Re: Windows 8

From: John Frain
Subject: Re: Windows 8
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 21:15:29 +0100

I ran all of the graphics tests on two PCs with Windows 8.1. Both
produced correct graphs on screen, or as pdf or png files. The first
Pc is an elderly Dell with an NVIDIA graphics card and 5 GB RAM.  The
second is a cheap wimdows 8.1 tablet with 1 GB RAM.

I can also report that I have run some programs on both with no problems.

The time to the first graph on the tablet is much faster (almost
instantaneous) on the tablet.  As noted previously this is very  slow
on any other PC that I have used. (SSD drive compared to hard disk??).
It is remarkable how well octave runs on such a low resource tablet.
Given the current tablet interface I would much prefer my desktop to
do serious work.

John

John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland
www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.htm
mailto:address@hidden
mailto:address@hidden