Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 13:25:12 +0200

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 1 April 2015 at 16:48, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> As I mentioned before, there are many functions in the package that
>> should be deprecated and use Octave's own implementation instead. For
>> example random numbers with gausssian distributions. Do not use
>> Tisean's, those are bad and we already have randn and mvrand
>> (hopefully using the mersenne twister).
>>

> I would disagree with this.  If the aim of the TISEAN package is to
> provide an Octave interface to TISEAN, then I would expect that calling
> those functions would only call the TISEAN functions.  If you start
> changing parts because your own implementation of bits of it are faster,
> or worse, more numerical correct, then you will fail at the main objective.
> You will be providing an interface to a new thing, a bastardized version
> of TISEAN.  Whether it's better or not, it's not really for us to judge.
>
> One should expect that the tisean package for Octave would inherit all
> the bugs from TISEAN.  If you want to change things, this should be done
> upstream, i.e., patches to TISEAN.
>
> Carnë

TISEAN is not maintained anymore, So inheriting bugs is just not good.
If TISEAN gets into Octave Forge I will take over maintenance with the
help of whoever is actively developing for it.
Also, I expect that in the long run TISEAN will eventually dissolve
into control, signal and tsa.

I will continue with the proposed methodology.