Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 23:16:33 +0100

On 6 April 2015 at 22:32, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> JohnD wrote
>> [...]
>> Someone asked a couple of weeks ago about what the selection criteria was
>> for packages added to the installer.
>>
>> I believe it started off mainly as ones that were considered 'commonly
>> used
>> ones'
>>
>> In the past months, I also added several in the instances where they
>> required patching in order to install in windows, OR required dependencies
>> in order to compile.
>>
>> So to the question ... Are we planning on adding as many packages as we
>> can
>> to the install, a select set (and if so what ones?)
>
> Yes you did a lot of work on OF packages that maybe should have been done by
> package maintainers.
>
> As to the question:
> I'd vote for actively maintained packages plus the ones you've patched in
> MXE.
>
> Packages that shouldn't  be included comprise those that haven't seen a
> release in -say- 3 years and packages overloading core Octave functions with
> outdated code.

Packages that are not actively maintained and cause problems with recent
octave versions, can simply have their status changed at the level of
Octave Forge.  It has been 1 year since the last time we moved packages
into the unmaintained category.  If you can prepare a list of which
packages to removed and its reasons, please do so.

Carnë