Re: image 2.4.0 released

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: image 2.4.0 released
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 03:36:42 +0100

On 7 April 2015 at 01:23, Marius Schamschula <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carnë,
>
> Unless I missed something obvious, I only found out the image 2.4.0 only
> supports octave >= 4.0.0 after building it.
>
> No mention of this requirement in the NEWS.html file.
>
> Time to reactive the old version…

How did you even built it?  The dependency is marked on the DESCRIPTION
file so pkg() should have refused right from the start.

The problem is that Octave 4.0 is almost out and the current version,
2.2.2 does not install there.  Octave 4.0 will be released with binaries
and pre-installed packages.  Usually packages would hold their releases
until after Octave is release but in this case, they need to be released
before.

Yeah, we don't really have a good setup for this, bu it's the best we can
do at the time.

I think it's better that for a very short time the latest version is not
installable (but people can always download the previous), than have all
the people installing Octave 4.0 with a version of the package that is
more than 1 year old (the 2.2.0 version, not 2.2.2).

Carnë