Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

Carnë Draug wrote
> On 6 April 2015 at 22:32, Philip Nienhuis <

> address@hidden

> > wrote:
>> JohnD wrote
> <snip>
>>> So to the question ... Are we planning on adding as many packages as we
>>> can
>>> to the install, a select set (and if so what ones?)
>>
>> Yes you did a lot of work on OF packages that maybe should have been done
>> by
>> package maintainers.
>>
>> As to the question:
>> I'd vote for actively maintained packages plus the ones you've patched in
>> MXE.
>>
>> Packages that shouldn't  be included comprise those that haven't seen a
>> release in -say- 3 years and packages overloading core Octave functions
>> with
>> outdated code.
>>

> Packages that are not actively maintained and cause problems with recent
> octave versions, can simply have their status changed at the level of
> Octave Forge.  It has been 1 year since the last time we moved packages
> into the unmaintained category.  If you can prepare a list of which
> packages to removed and its reasons, please do so.

Making a package release itself isn't a lot of work, provided its repo is in
good shape. I'm prepared to make a few new releases just like I did for
linear-algebra for a few selected packages.

Looking at general, I wonder if it would be a lot of work to simply drop the
inputParser stuff, add a dependency on Octave-4.0.0+ and then make a new
release? (bumping just the last digit of the version number)
I've only got general pkg installed because it was/is a dependency for
several other packages.

Similar reasoning might hold for the specfun package; I believe I've seen
the shadow warnings about the ellipke, expint and erfcinv functions for 3 or
4 years now (maybe even longer).Do these functions really add something to
the core functions?
The specfun package functions expint_E1 and expint_Ei work fine with core
expint().

On another note, what exactly is the (or why is there a) difference between
the general and the miscellaneous package?

Philip