Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 01:49:42 +0200

On 10.04.2015 22:05, JohnD wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of
Carnë Draug
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:13 AM
To: John Donoghue
Cc: octave-maintainers; Mike Miller

On 6 April 2015 at 23:31, John Donoghue <address@hidden>
wrote:
On 04/06/2015 06:16 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 21:17:38 +0100
From: Carn? Draug<address@hidden>
To: Mike Miller<address@hidden>
Cc: Octave Maintainers<address@hidden>

On 15 March 2015 at 15:04, Mike Miller<address@hidden>  wrote:

[...]

The imminent Octave 4.0.0 release will be the first to supply an
official binary distribution of Octave for Windows operating systems.
This distribution will include a set of Octave Forge packages that
may be installed at the user's option. This is why we would like to
have compatible packages ready to incorporate into the next release
candidate for further testing.

Can users that have installed Octave with such installer then install
more packages and other versions of those packages?

If we are starting to distribute binaries of Octave core, would be
nice if we can also distribute binaries for the packages, specially
since the release cycle of core and OF is quite different.

Carn?

I just tried installing all of packages that currently in the active list on
octave forge in Windows using octave 4.0.0 rc2   (32 bit)
This is trying to install on the windows machine, not attempting cross compile,
using what is available as the 'current' package on octave-forge.
Heres the following results:

I can confirm your observations. I did an installation on Win 7 64bit and additionally did some “pkg test”ing. Unfortunately only few packages contain sufficient tests and allow an assessment. Here are my results (didn't check them against known bugs):

bim  1.1.5      - OK
PASS 92, FAIL 0
15 (of 47) .m files have no tests.
cgi  0.1.0      - OK
6 (of 6) .m files have no tests.
communications  1.2.1 -  OK - warns unusable help found
PASS 457, FAIL 0
19 (of 115) .m files have no tests.
control 2.8.0   - OK
PASS 317, FAIL 13
229 (of 287) .m files have no tests.
database  2.3.1         - OK
PASS 0, FAIL 1 (should be expected)
5 (of 6) .m files have no tests.
dataframe  1.1.0        - OK
PASS 3, FAIL 9
101 (of 101) .m files have no tests.
data-smoothing  1.3.0   - OK
4 (of 4) .m files have no tests.
dicom   0.1.1   - FAILED - Error with octave_map - Bug #44624
-
divand  1.1.2   - OK
PASS 1, FAIL 0
115 (of 116) .m files have no tests.
econometrics 1.1.1      - OK
28 (of 28) .m files have no tests.
fem-fenics  0.0.3  - FAILED - requires eigen3 lib in mxe-octave, so currently
an expected failure
-
financial 0.4.0         - OK
PASS 158, FAIL 9
23 (of 57) .m files have no tests.
fits 1.0.5      - OK
No m-files for testing.
fl-core 1.0.0   - FAILED - has been patched in mxe-octave - Bug #41214
-
fpl  1.3.4      - OK
PASS 0, FAIL 5 (failed calls to deprecated function files)
10 (of 10) .m files have no tests.
fuzzy-logic-toolkit 0.4.4       - OK - warning about continuation markers
depreciated
I did not see a warning?!
50 (of 50) .m files have no tests.
ga 0.10.0       - OK    - lots of warning about continuation markers depreciated
I did not see a warning?!
PASS 79, FAIL 0
16 (of 22) .m files have no tests.
general  1.3.4  - OK
PASS 25, FAIL 0, XFAIL 1
24 (of 28) .m files have no tests.
generate_html 0.1.7     - OK
8 (of 8) .m files have no tests.
geometry 1.7.0  - OK    - warning on printf args - warn on cant cleanup after
self
I can confirm the printf warnings only.
PASS 282, FAIL 3 (missing python, should be expected)
188 (of 233) .m files have no tests.
image   2.4.0   - OK
PASS 631, FAIL 5, XFAIL 21
54 (of 137) .m files have no tests.
image-acquisition 0.2.1 - FAILED -  requires v4l library no in mxe-octave so
expected
-
instrument-control 0.2.1        - OK
27 (of 27) .m files have no tests
interval  0.1.5 - OK
PASS 7264, FAIL 0, XFAIL 18
0 (of 249) .m files have no tests.
io 2.2.7                - OK
PASS 11, FAIL 0
30 (of 32) .m files have no tests.
java            - part of core now not tried
-
level-set  0.2.0        - OK
Compile Warning: -fPIC ignored for target
PASS 198, FAIL 6 ('ls_copy_sign' undefined errors)
2 (of 31) .m files have no tests.
linear-algebra  2.2.2   -OK     - warnings on abstract class types
Several warnings during compile: writing file 'C:\.octave_hist': Permission denied
PASS 19, FAIL 1 (function 'fsin' not found)
57 (of 69) .m files have no tests.
lssa  0.1.2     - OK
PASS 16, FAIL 0
0 (of 7) .m files have no tests.
ltfat  2.0.1    - FAILED        - 'cc' not found - patched in mxe. - bug #43603
-
mechanics 1.3.1         - FAILED        - install failure  Bug #44804
-
miscellaneous 1.2.1     - OK
PASS 384, FAIL 9 (strsplit errors)
16 (of 30) .m files have no tests.
mpi 1.2.0       - FAILED        - mxe has no mpi lib, so expected
-
msh 1.0.10      - OK
PASS 28, FAIL 1 (the gmesh subprocess exited abnormally)
9 (of 21) .m files have no tests.
mvn 1.1.0       - OK
PASS 1, FAIL 0
18 (of 19) .m files have no tests.
nan 2.7.1       - OK    - warning -fPIC, shadow core funcs
Warnings during Compile:
ls: /usr/local/: No such file or directory
ls: /bin/mexext: No such file or directory
PASS 31, FAIL 0
65 (of 81) .m files have no tests.
ncarray  1.0.3  - OK
45 (of 45) .m files have no tests.
netcdf 1.0.6    - OK
Several warnings during compile: error: writing file 'C:\.octave_hist': Permission denied
10 (of 10) .m files have no tests.
nurbs 1.3.9     - FAILED        - matrix_value - bug #44651
-
ocs  0.1.3      - OK    - continuation marker warnings
Can't install, depends on odepkg
octcdf 1.1.8    - OK
Several warnings during compile: error: writing file 'C:\.octave_hist': Permission denied
PASS 23, FAIL 0
30 (of 31) .m files have no tests.
octclip 1.0.3   - OK    - printf format warnings
PASS 5, FAIL 0
0 (of 1) .m files have no tests.
octproj 1.1.2   - FAILED        - mxe-octave needs libproj, so expected failure
-
odepkg  0.8.4   - FAILED        -  octave_map - bug #44594
-
optics 0.1.1    - DONE
PASS 166, FAIL 2 (%!test should be %!error)
0 (of 43) .m files have no tests.
optim 1.4.1     - DONE
PASS 16, FAIL 0
49 (of 54) .m files have no tests.
optiminterp 0.3.4       - DONE
Several warnings during compile: error: writing file 'C:\.octave_hist': Permission denied
9 (of 9) .m files have no tests.
parallel 2.2.1  - FAILED        - bug #41148
-
quaternion 2.4.0        - OK
PASS 23, FAIL 0
60 (of 76) .m files have no tests.
queueing 1.2.3  - OK
PASS 261, FAIL 4 ('sumexpn' undefined, and low tolerances), XFAIL 3
23 (of 101) .m files have no tests.
secs1d 0.0.9    - OK
5 (of 5) .m files have no tests.
secs2d 0.0.8    - FAILED        - Octave_map error Bug #44803
-
secs3d 0.0.1    - OK
39 (of 39) .m files have no tests.
signal 1.3.1    - OK
PASS 469, FAIL 3
78 (of 146) .m files have no tests.
sockets 1.2.0   - OK
No m-files for testing
specfun 1.1.0   - OK    - warnings on some shadows funcs
I did not see the warnings?!
PASS 6, FAIL 0
17 (of 19) .m files have no tests.
splines 1.2.7   - OK
PASS 75, FAIL 0
5 (of 12) .m files have no tests.
statistics 1.2.4        - OK
PASS 219, FAIL 25 (this really looks bad)
52 (of 117) .m files have no tests.
stk 2.2.0       - OK
PASS 576, FAIL 348 (many failed because of undefined variables)
82 (of 222) .m files have no tests.
strings 1.1.0   - FAILED        - pcre - Bug #44640
-
struct 1.0.11   - OK
PASS 9, FAIL 0, XFAIL 1
0 (of 3) .m files have no tests.
symbolic 2.1.0  - OK
Unable to test (popen2: process creation failed)
tsa  4.2.9      - OK    - warn on shadows a core lib function
Warnings during compile:
ls: /usr/local/: No such file or directory
ls: /bin/mexext: No such file or directory
PASS 17, FAIL 0
50 (of 55) .m files have no tests.
vrml 1.0.13     - OK    - warnings on continuation markers
I did not see the warnings?!
44 (of 44) .m files have no tests.
windows 1.2.1   - FAILED        - Array compile errors - Bug #44180
-

Summing up the current versions of Octave Forge packages I get the following impression. Please don't take the categories too serious, because I have no detailed knowledge of most packages. I just ran the tests.

4.0 COMPATIBLE
-bim
-communications
-ga
-geometry
-interval
-level-set (under the assumption that tests are deprecated)
-lssa
-msh (under the assumption that tests are deprecated)
-nan
-octcdf
-octclip
-optics