Windows package [WAS: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages]

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Windows package [WAS: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages]
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 04:55:44 -0700 (PDT)

John Donoghue-2 wrote
> On 04/10/2015 09:11 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 16:05:15 -0400, JohnD wrote:
>>> I just tried installing all of packages that currently in the active
>>> list on octave forge in Windows using octave 4.0.0 rc2   (32 bit)
>>> This is trying to install on the windows machine, not attempting cross
>>> compile, using what is available as the 'current' package on
>>> octave-forge.
>>> Heres the following results:
>> So do you intend to drop or patch the remaining failing packages in
>> build_packages.m (dicom, odepkg, windows) if no fixed releases are made
>> before the official 4.0 Windows binary is built?
>>
>> Thanks for working on this,
>>
> Since there are patches available for most, I could patch most of them
> in mxe.
>
> The windows package may be a different story, as even patched, it
> currently says it has errors.
>
> But, even if patched in in mxe, anyone who tries installing from octave
> forge will get failures.

More info is in a related bug report #44180.
Short recap:
In Octave compiled for 32-bit, a slightly patched Windows package may give
some COM errors (or maybe even just one) but otherwise seems to work fine.
That is, spreadsheet  I/O test scripts in the io package that invoke
COM/ActiveX run w/o any issues.

For 64-bit Octave (--enable-windows-64 or--enable-64 configure options in
MXE) the patched windows package will install fine but doesn't work and even
crashes Octave hard.

Avinoam patched the package along the lines I sketched (to arrive at what I
use myself); I think that patched windows package version could be included
in the MXE installer as long as the latter is built without the
--enable-windows-64 configure option.

Philip