Re: Class related regressions in GNU Octave 4.0

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Class related regressions in GNU Octave 4.0
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:31:44 +0200

On 12.04.2015 15:06, Mike Miller wrote:
On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:55:42 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
On 26.03.2015 23:09, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
On Thu, 2015-03-26 at 22:31 +0100, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
I guess that now it is too late and the regressions are not going to
be fixed until the final 4.0 release and therefore break some
functionality for a certain time?!

I think we ought to consider regressions release-critical. I'll take a
look at these three bugs during the weekend.

- Jordi G. H.

Jordi, I did you check the regressions already? Should I put them on the Bug
Fix List for the release [1]?

I looked your list over. I haven't verified whether they are regressions
or not, or whether they are critical for the release or not. But it's
worth noting that they all only apply to old-style classes that override
the "size" function.

I have verified that #44334, #44498, and #43925 all are regressions, which have been working in 3.8.2 and are broken in 4.0.

In order to not break some functionality in 4.0 in the interval package, I would have to provide three workaround methods. Here is the big question (taken from #44498), which affects all these bugs:

What is the desired behaviour?
1) A user-defined class must override all methods together to get a consistent behaviour: size, isvector, isscalar, and isequal. Any builtin functions will assume that the object's size is always [1 1]. 2) A user-defined class must override size only. The builtin functions will respect the overriden size method and produce a consistent behaviour for the user (like they did in version 3.8.2).