Re: Class related regressions in GNU Octave 4.0

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Class related regressions in GNU Octave 4.0
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:58:27 -0400

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 15:31:44 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> I have verified that #44334, #44498, and #43925 all are regressions, which
> have been working in 3.8.2 and are broken in 4.0.

Correction: bug #43925 was reported against 3.8.2, is not a regression
from 3.8.2 to 4.0.0.

> What is the desired behaviour?
> 1) A user-defined class must override all methods together to get a
> consistent behaviour: size, isvector, isscalar, and isequal. Any builtin
> functions will assume that the object's size is always [1 1].
> 2) A user-defined class must override size only. The builtin functions will
> respect the overriden size method and produce a consistent behaviour for the
> user (like they did in version 3.8.2).

Good question, I don't know the answer. I have not seen any clear
documentation on the intended interaction between these builtin
functions and user-defined classes.

I don't have access to Matlab, but I guess a good next step would be to
put together some minimal @-class examples and get someone to test them
in Matlab to see what it returns from the functions in question.

--
mike