Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:02:35 +0100

On 8 April 2015 at 17:47, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> The new repository is NOT a separate project,
> that is just the current development version
> of the package, the one on sourceforge has not
> been yet updated to include latest changes.
>
> This is, to my understanding, the new trend in
> Forge packages, development happens elsewhere then
> the repository is updated just before the release.
>
> The sourceforge repository was not updated because
> no release was made yet. I believe it would anyway
> make more sense to synchronize the two repos now to
> avoid more confusion, so if you want to merge the
> changes on bitbucket to sourceforge, please go ahead.

I think you got it wrong.  You can, and you should, update the SF clone
of the odepkg package whenever you feel like it.  This makes it easier
for other people to work on top of it.  Logical times to push changes
would be after fixing, implementing a new functions, the same that is
usually seen as good enough to merge into default (or master for git
terminology).  But it's up to the maintainer to decide when that.

The thing that changed is that we are using a distributed VCS, and so is
perfectly fine for multiple clones of the package to be scattered through
the internet.  It also means that we no longer have to give push access to
every single person.  It is the package manaintainer responsability to
review and pull the changes from those other repositories.

We did set up the rule that at least before release, the clone in OF must
be in sync.  This is different from updating *only* before the release.  And
it is required so we can always replicate a release from the sources kept
by us.

Carnë