Questions about "configure" and "native graphics"

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Questions about "configure" and "native graphics"
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:47:21 +0200

Dear all,

I have a couple of questions concerning the "configure" script... (source = mercurial tip)

If I configure with "./configure --without-fltk", I get "Build Octave GUI: yes" and the following warnings:

configure: WARNING: --without-fltk specified. Native graphics will be disabled. configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not initialized. Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
configure: WARNING:
configure: WARNING: I didn't find the necessary libraries to compile native
configure: WARNING: graphics.  It isn't necessary to have native graphics,
configure: WARNING: but you will need to have gnuplot installed or you won't
configure: WARNING: be able to use any of Octave's plotting commands

What does "native graphics" mean ?

And why do I get a warning about not finding libraries for "native graphics", since "native graphics" have been disabled because of --without-fltk ?

Now, if I configure with "./configure --without-opengl" I get instead "Build Octave GUI: no" and

configure: WARNING: --without-opengl specified. Native graphics will be disabled. configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not initialized. Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
configure: WARNING: --without-opengl was specified -- disabling GUI
configure: WARNING:
configure: WARNING: I didn't find the necessary libraries to compile native
configure: WARNING: graphics.  It isn't necessary to have native graphics,
configure: WARNING: but you will need to have gnuplot installed or you won't
configure: WARNING: be able to use any of Octave's plotting commands

Why does disabling OpenGL lead to "Build Octave GUI: no" ?

If I remember correctly, with Octave 8.2 I could disable OpenGL and still get a working GUI with gnuplot as a graphics toolkit. Has this changed ?

@++
Julien