Re: Questions about "configure" and "native graphics"

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Questions about "configure" and "native graphics"
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:59:09 +0200

Le 21/04/2015 15:04, Mike Miller a écrit :
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 08:47:21 +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
What does "native graphics" mean ?
The way I understand it is a blanket term to describe both the FLTK
and Qt plotting toolkits and the support libraries needed to make
those work.

Ok... So, if "native graphics" covers both FLTK and Qt, considering the warnings :

configure: WARNING: --without-fltk specified. Native graphics will be disabled.

configure: WARNING: I didn't find the necessary libraries to compile native
configure: WARNING: graphics.  It isn't necessary to have native graphics,
configure: WARNING: but you will need to have gnuplot installed or you won't
configure: WARNING: be able to use any of Octave's plotting commands

shouldn't I get gnuplot only ?

Let me try to explain (but please remember that I really don't understand much about this OpenGL / GLX / FTLK / Qt stuff...).

I am building on a Debian Wheezzy system without direct rendering capabilities (no graphics card).

I have, among other things, libgl1-mesa-glx, libgl1-mesa-dev and libqt4-opengl installed.

When I configure with "--without-fltk", I still end up with both "qt" and "gnuplot" available as graphics toolkits.

"qt" is selected as the default toolkit but I can't plot anything (figure successfully creates a frame, with various buttons and menus, but everything seems frozen and I can't plot).

Does "native graphics" means the same as "direct rendering" ?

Can I expect the Qt toolkit to work on a system without graphics card, using GLX ?

And why do I get a warning about not finding libraries for "native
graphics", since "native graphics" have been disabled because of
--without-fltk ?
Is your question why is the warning phrased the way it is, or why do
you get a warning at all since you intentionally disabled something?

If the latter, that's simply the approach taken for all optional
libraries with Octave, to warn you about what features you might be
missing because of your choices.

Yes, it was the latter. Thanks.