Re: A question for package maintainers still using TexInfo < 5

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: A question for package maintainers still using TexInfo < 5
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:22:56 -0400

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 2:33 AM, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello all,

There is an ongoing discussion on this bug report: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?44899 which is related to the generate_html package.

The point is: there is a hack in several functions of the package (html_help_tex, texi2html) which is supposed to deal with a bug in makeinfo. The bug is longer present in recent TexInfo releases, and the hack has some unpleasant side effects.

Is there any package maintainer still using TexInfo < 5 ? If there is, could he or she join the discussion and see if removing the hack would cause any inconvenience ?

The bad thing about texinfo-5 is the switch to Perl, which make it much slower to load than texinfo-4. This has made running the test suite a real pain, while most of the time is spent loading/running makeinfo (that makes timing "make check" less relevant). I remember that jwe told me at last octconf that's the/one reason he sticked to texinfo-4. Maybe he switched to texinfo-5 since then :).

Michael.