Manual for GNU Octave package (Octave-Forge)

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Manual for GNU Octave package (Octave-Forge)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:32:31 +0200

I have recentently started to learn GNU Texinfo and, for example, create the NEWS file for my Octave Forge package from Texinfo sources, which saves me from the dull work of aligning plaintext paragraphs/list by hand.

Now I want to start a user manual for my package.

At first I worked on a manual page in the wiki, which was very beneficial in the early days of the package. I could publish documentation and package releases independently. It sped up development, because I could work on the software and its documentation asynchronously.

The wiki documentation is no longer an advantage and I want the package release to contain a matching documentation (for many different reasons) from now on. I started a doc/manual.texinfo file, which is naturally also going to be in the release tarball. However, the “pkg install” will probably drop it and the user is never going to see the manual. How should I release the manual?

1. Should I generate a HTML version of the package manual and include it in the [package]-html.tar.gz for publication on Octave Forge? I could use the HTML template from the generate_html package to get a matching design. I could patch the package's index.html to contain a link to the manual next to the function reference.

2. Should I bundle any compiled version of the manual in the package release tarball? Or should I leave this to downstream distributors? Are there any conventions, which downstream distributors expect?

3. Can you recommend any graphical editors for Texinfo files? I am looking for something similar to LyX. Probably it does not exists, because everybody uses Emacs.

Oliver