Re: laguerre.m functions in specfun package

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: laguerre.m functions in specfun package
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:58:20 +0100

On 29/04/15 06:46, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
I am arguing that dirac and heaviside should be moved to the symbolic
package.  And then we drop the specfun package.
See https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8644#comment13

I completely disagree with this.
Symbolic does not offer replacement for these functions. Specially it
is not true that

multinom, multinom_coeff, multinom_exp -- I think these are monomials,
and nthcoeff in the sym,bolic package

(mind the "I think"). These functions are optimized for numeric not
for symbolic manipulation (which by the way is the main role of
octave). The symbolic version of these function will just ad an over
heard in time execution and memory!

Please always think of this when you want to replace a numerical
version of a function with a symbolic one (please!). You should
provide performance (time and memory) justifying the change.

I develop Symbolic but I have no particular agenda here either way: so long as I can rely on users having some of these functions for doubles.

re: performance: *generally speaking* function with symbolic arguments call e.g., "@sym/dirac.m", whereas with double arrays they call e.g., "@double/dirac.m" so there should be no cpu/mem performance penalty for numerical computing. I'm keen to ensure it stays that way.

In any case, if you want to get rid of specfun (I do not know why you
would want that!), I would say be mindful if your are not a user of
the package. Your interest might not coincide with the interest of the
true/intended users.