Request for VERSOFT license

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Request for VERSOFT license
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 14:19:00 +0200

Dear Jiri Rohn,

my name is Oliver Heimlich, I am developer at Octave-Forge[1] (a sibling project of GNU Octave) and maintainer of the interval package[2]. I have downloaded your package VERSOFT from your institute's website[3] and I find it very useful.

Would you like to contribute it to Octave-Forge? I know licensing issues are difficult topics and therefore I approach you with utter respect.

If you accept this invitation to contribute code to Octave-Forge, I can
offer you the following
- You will be properly credited and your papers will be linked as well.
- Maintenance of your function, test and demos will be taken over by the Octave and Octave-forge community. Of course you can continue contributing, and we will be very happy to have you among us. I will also let you know of any bug report we get from the users.
- I will take care of porting (code formatting, demos and test).
- Your functions will be directly downloaded and installed from an Octave prompt (assuming it is packed inside interval package):
> pkg -forge install interval

The only thing that you need to do is to release your code under GPLv3+ (we like this one :D ) or any license compatible with it[4], e.g., Apache 2.0 or FreeBSD. I cannot use the downloaded package from your website, because it contains no copying conditions at all.

You need only to let me know that you allow me to redistribute your code under your free license of choice, I will take care of adding the header to each file of your package.

In case you are interested, I can tell you about successful experiences of other researches contributing their work. For example the matGeom
community[5] released under GPLv3 so that Octave-forge can mirror they
package[6], since the package have enjoyed several new contributions and
code optimization. A group form the technical university of Denmark[7] working on nonnegative matrix factorization also allowed us to redistribute their package under GPLv3. Biomechanics & Neurosciences researchers[8] have also changed their license to GPLv3 to allow us to produce packages out of their excellent algorithms.

We have no other objective but to offer a truly free platform for the
exchange of our research. I hope you join us!

If you have any question or comments, please let me know without hesitation.

Thank you very much for your excellent code!

Regards,

Oliver Heimlich

[1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://octave.sourceforge.net/interval/