Octave-Forge: strings package

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Octave-Forge: strings package
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 17:44:49 +0200

I would like to become official maintainer of the strings package at Octave Forge and prepare a release with “recent” improvements (where recent means patches applied since 2012).

I would increase the dependencies to Octave >= 3.8.2. Otherwise I would have to prepare a testing environment with Octave 3.6.x.

Any objections?

I have issues with the strsort function:
1. The function's license is legally problematic (“public domain” is not accepted in several countries).
2. The function shadows the builtin sort function.
3. The builtin sort function says “The 'sort' function may also be used to sort strings and cell arrays of strings, in which case ASCII dictionary order of the strings is used.”.

Thus, the strsort function is no longer needed and can be omitted?