Re: Only mailing list mail visible

From: Alexander Hansen
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:09:05 -0700

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 08:57, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 06/11/2015 09:22 AM, JuanPi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to configure the mailing list to show only the mailing
>> list mail and not also the sender?
>
> Yes, it is possible, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.  It's
> definitely not the way most lists are configured.  Could anyone here who has
> used a list that is configured this way comment on how well it works?
>
>> When one gives support for people in the mailing list, they tend to
>> answer directly, specially new users. There is nothing in place
>> encouraging other behavior. If they couldn't see the mail of the
>> person answering their request but only the mailing list, then we
>> would save some energy.
>> Is this possible?
>
> Is it difficult to reply with a short "please use the mailing list" message
> and quote their message back to them so they can send it to the list if they
> choose?
>
> I think I understand why you are asking for this change, but I also like
> having the option of easily replying privately.
>
> Maybe we should just change the help list and see how that works?  I'm not
> sure that it's needed as much for the maintainers list.
>
> jwe

The lists I moderate run more or less the same way that Octave’s do—we’ve had
this conversation ourselves.

One thing that I do, as does at least one of our other developers, to try to
keep the discussion on the list is to put the list address as the reply-to when
I reply.  That’s a little bit more effort on my end, but it has the virtue that
it can be applied selectively—I don’t bother for people who follow the
etiquette of replying to all.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison