Re: IEEE standard for interval arithmetic approved

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: IEEE standard for interval arithmetic approved
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:25:48 +0200

Dear Oliver,

Thank you providing this package! I have to say, that I was not aware of interval arithmetic before and I think that it can be a very useful way to describe the uncertainties of e.g. models.

I have just a basic questions about discontinuous functions. For example tan:

>> tan(infsup(1.4,1.7))
ans = [Entire]

I would expect [tan(1.4), ∞[ ∪ ]-∞, tan(1.7)]. Does the interval arithmetic reduce the results always to a simple interval?

I any case, thank you for sharing your work!
Alex