Re: We need to talk about SourceForge

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: We need to talk about SourceForge
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:55:31 +0100

On 16 June 2015 at 21:44, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/16/2015 10:22 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

>>> Yes.  How can I help make that happen?
>>>

>> I'm not sure if you have permissions to do this.  Does the following
>> works?
>> Doxygen documentation takes approximately 2GB for each release.
>

> I copied the files here:
>
>   http://octave.org/doxygen/VERSION/html
>
> where VERSION may be 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8, 4.0, or 4.1.

That's great.  Thank you.  By the way, I kept the doxygen stuff within
a deeper "html" level because that's how it was done before and I didn't
want to break links.  But since we are moving to octave.org, we could
drop the "html" directory.

Also, do you plan on keeping the development doxygen up to date yourself?
Or do you want me to keep doing it?

> Here is the disk usage I see:
>
>   $ du --summ --human --tot *
>   243M  3.2
>   847M  3.4
>   619M  3.6
>   2.3G  3.8
>   2.1G  4.0
>   1.6G  4.1
>   7.6G  total
>
> I don't think disk usage is a problem though:
>
>   $ df --human .
>   Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>   /dev/sdb1       3.6T  745G  2.9T  21% /home

That's good to know.  And how are we about traffic?

We'll also need a place to host the octave forge releases.

  $ du --summ --human --tot *
  138M    Octave Forge
  227M    Octave Forge Packages
  2.5G    Octave MacOSX Binary
  1.9G    Octave Windows binaries
  611M    OldFiles
  5.2G    total

As with the doxygen doxs, you can sync this with:

  rsync -avzP -e ssh address@hidden:/home/frs/project/octave/
wherever_you_want_them

On 17 June 2015 at 11:32, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> Also, where are there links to the index files?  I suppose if anyone has
> deep links to them, they will probably break, but it would be good to update
> the ones that we have to point to octave.org instead of sourceforge.

There are some on the octave forge website, on the wiki, and many scattered
through the internet (I'll guess specially on SO which is where I post links
to them most often.

> If possible, could we also delete the files from sourceforge and put some
> redirects in place that point to octave.org?

Yes.  I'll try to do this today.  I will wait until we maybe drop the
"html" directory level.

Carnë