Re: gnuplot graphics toolkit bugs

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: gnuplot graphics toolkit bugs
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 08:13:53 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Daniel J Sebald
> To: Ben Abbott
> Cc: help-octave Octave <address@hidden>
> Date: 2015/6/24, Wed 01:58
> Subject: Re: gnuplot graphics toolkit bugs
>
> On 06/23/2015 08:58 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>>  On Jun 23, 2015, at 2:52 AM, Daniel J
> Sebald<address@hidden>
>
> [snip]
>
>>>  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=43907
>>>  bug #43907: OpenGL render code called even when gnuplot is
> graphics_toolkit
>>>
>>>  Dan
>>>

>>  Perhaps the most serious gnuplot 5 related bug is below. I’ve attached a
> patch to the bug report, but since I’m not able to build Octave 4.x on Mac
> OSX,
> I haven’t pushed it.
>>
>>      http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42838
>>
>>  Ben
>
> Well, there is a lot there for me to read, but let me just guess that this is
> the issue where default EPS mode uses grayscale, not color.  And in gnuplot,
> the
> grayscale mode translates any non-white color to black, technically
> monochrome.
>
> I had addressed this somewhat in the changeset:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44187
> bug #44187: Bugs and modifications in print() with gnuplot graphics toolkit
>
> by either not plotting the color background or using color terminal but
> casting
> all colors to a grayscale equivalent.  But then I thought that was too much
> for
> one bug report and pulled back so that the black
> color-background-translates-to-black issue is still present.
>
> My thinking was that perhaps I could get gnuplot to add a "grayscale"
> option in addition to "color" and "monotone".  I didn't
> get much traction on that, but I could pursue it again.  Looks like you've
> been working on it for some time, so if you have a good solution, that should
> do
> in lieu of a new gnuplot feature.

In the http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42838

http://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/1561/

is referred.  The above is closed.

The last message by Ethan (a main developer of gnuplot project) on the but
ticket is

I don't know what was happening in the Octave->gnuplot original example, but I
think the introduction of "set mono" has probably changed things. Please file a
new bug report if there are still problems.

The "set mono" is implemented on gnuplot 5.0.1 (released at June 7.).
Please consider to use it.

In general, gnuplot 5.0.0 is buggy.
I recommend to make change of octave code not for 5.0.0 but for 5.0.1.

Release Notes for 5.0.1 is here:
http://www.gnuplot.info/ReleaseNotes_5_0_1.html

Tatsuro