Re: how to put in octave forge?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: how to put in octave forge?
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 08:43:09 -0700 (PDT)

shash wrote
> Hi!
>
> I recently worked in a project which required reading and writing gis data
> directly from octave. I wrote a wrapper around gdal and proj4 libraries to
> accomplish it. I would like someone to help me put the code in octave
> forge since I will not be able to maintain it in long term. But the code
> has been tested thoroughly because it was part of a commercial project and
> I would like to give it to open source community.

First of all, your code should have a suitable license, preferrably GPL or
GPL-compatible.

What functions did you write?  Did you add tests?

The last year I've been busy adding and polishing .shp file support to the
mapping package (reading / writing / plotting).  As advised by other
developers I've tried to make the functions as Matlab-compatible as
reasonably possible, that is, they should function more or less similar to
functions with comparable purpose in Matlab's mapping toolbox.  Currently
all is in the repo on Octave-Forge:
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/mapping/ci/default/tree/

I still have a few small bugs to fix (mainly with clipping polygons /
polylines when reading .shp files, i.e. options that ML's toolbox doesn't
have), add a few pending fixes from another contributor, and then I want to
make a release.  That release has been delayed time and again, but the
number of required fixes is quite small now.
If we could fit in your code in time it could be in the next release.

Philip