Re: how to put in octave forge?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: how to put in octave forge?
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:53:02 +0100

On 5 July 2015 at 12:49, shashank khare <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I recently worked in a project which required reading and writing gis data
> directly from octave. I wrote a wrapper around gdal and proj4 libraries to
> accomplish it.

Did you take a look at the octproj package [1]?  It provides an octave
interface to proj4.

> I would like someone to help me put the code in octave forge
> since I will not be able to maintain it in long term. But the code has been
> tested thoroughly because it was part of a commercial project and I would
> like to give it to open source community.

I really really don't want Octave Forge to become a dumping ground for
abandoned code (to be more precise, I really really want it to move away
from being that).  You'll have to find a developer that is interested in
maintaining it for you then (which I guess may be Philip Nienhuis as he
is also the most interested on the mapping package).

You can still keep it on your github account, and if you have good
documentation and a nice README file (github displays such files), people
will find it when googling for gdal and proj4.

Also, the code may have been well tested during development and use, but
without a test suite, makes it really hard to maintain.  I couldn't find
any tests on your code.

On 5 July 2015 at 22:26, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> Licensing:
> I had a brief look at gnu.org but I cannot assess whether the MIT license
> you use is GPL compatible. To me it looks a bit like the BSD license.
> Would you be willing to publish your code under the GPL? just asking, AFAICS
> the MIT license shouldn't be a showstopper but having several licenses in
> one package just complicates things. But there's also the BSD license in the
> mapping package anyway (for some geodetic functions).

The FSF calls this specific license the Expat license [3] since calling it
MIT license is ambyguous as MIT has used many licenses for software.  It is
GPL compatible.

Carnë

[1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/octproj/index.html
[2] http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/mapping