Re: Eliminating more recursive make invocations

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Eliminating more recursive make invocations
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 18:51:38 -0400

On 07/07/2015 04:37 PM, Michael Godfrey wrote:

On 07/07/2015 05:34 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
I checked in a series of changes that eliminates calling make
recursively for the doc, etc/icons, and test directory trees.

You may need to clean up your build tree and run the bootstrap script
followed by configure to eliminate now obsolete Makefiles.

In doing this I once again enabled building the documentation and
images for the documentation in parallel.  It seems to work for me,
but if you notice problems, please report them.

I'm considering doing the same for the liboctave, libinterp, libgui,
src, and scripts directory.  At that point, the only directory that
will be handled by a recursive make invocation will be libgnu.

jwe
This all went smoothly for me until:

  GEN      doc/interpreter/octave.html/mesh.png
   GEN      doc/interpreter/plot3.png
   GEN      doc/interpreter/octave.html/plot3.png
   GEN      doc/interpreter/extended.png
   GEN      doc/interpreter/octave.html/extended.png
   TEX      doc/refcard/refcard-a4.dvi
^C^C^C^C^CMakefile:4332: recipe for target 'doc/refcard/refcard-a4.dvi'
failed

Does a full build work for you? It appears to me that something is out
of order
in the build in doc/interpreter/

A clean build does seem to work for me.

Are you doing a parallel build?  How many jobs?

Can you use

  make V=1 ...

to see the details of this failure and post the info here?

Thanks,