Re: parallel building documentation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: parallel building documentation
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:05:00 -0400

On 07/09/2015 01:09 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 22:01:32 -0700, Rik wrote:
The parallel building in the documentation directory makes for some
confusing logs which is why we had the .NOTPARALLEL directive.  It's not
the end of the world, just confusing, but is there any way to get that
behavior back?  Here is an example from my finally successful compile job.
[…]
Note that it mixes build jobs from the etc/icons, doc/interpreter, *and*
top-level directory (.gdbinit).

The output from any parallel build could be confusing. It's just more so when running tools like TeX that are chatty. But now that we hide most of that by default, I don't think it should be too bad. If you really want to see an easy to read log, then use -j1.

IMHO that's what I would want it to do. If you could do a make -j1000,
why not let it do everything it can in whatever order? If it can build
some icons at the same time as it's compiling liboctave, why not? Yes,
the output will be completely interleaved, but the end result should be
much more efficient.

I agree. Once I'm done, I hope that we will have fewer points where only one long job is running (for example, linking liboctave.la or generating octave.info). That should speed things up a little if you are doing a parallel build.