Re: Eliminating more recursive make invocations

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Eliminating more recursive make invocations
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 08:49:15 -0700

On 07/13/2015 06:37 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 07/12/2015 09:37 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 7/12/15
>>
>> FYI,
>>
>> Under the new build system it is more difficult, but still possible to
>> re-build just a single file.  I've been working on the m-files that
>> generate the images for the Manual and as soon as you touch one it re-makes
>> all the images in the file (7) with four different extensions (.txt, .png,
>> .pdf, .eps).  This is super slow and bad for my testing purposes.
>
> But that seems like the correct behavior given that the source file is
used to generate multiple outputs.  Maybe we should break these image
generation scripts up so that there is one script per figure?  We could
also put common functions in separate files and share them among all the
generation functions instead of duplicating them.

I don't mind the behavior in general.  It's just specifically when I'm
trying to execute a Design-Build-Test loop.  If the Build portion actually
generates 28 images when I only need to evaluate one I am slowed down
massively.  The workaround I used seems fine which is why I posted it in
case other people have something similar.

I don't think we want to split this into individual files.  There are a lot
of images and there would be a lot of clutter in the doc/interpreter directory.

--Rik