Re: Autoload properties for OF packages

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Autoload properties for OF packages
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

Carnë Draug wrote

> <snip>
>> What is the rationale for setting the "Autoload" flag for some OF
>> packages
>> (java [2], linear-algebra [3], and perhaps others) but not the others ?
>
> The last release of the java package was before the no-autoload policy.
> There are other packages like that.  On the case of linear-algebra, I
> believe it's a bug on the generate_html.
>
> I have not investigated this, it is pure conjecture, but I believe the
> the bug comes from:
>
>   * generate_html does not make use of the source tarball to generate the
>     documentation, it makes use of the package installation.
>   * installed packages do not keep track of the package defaults.  It only
>     "knows" its current state.
>   * therefore, generate_html only knows about the autoload settings on the
>     installation made by the package maintainer.  If the package
> maintainer
>     set it for autoload, then the HTML will come out with autoload set to
>     true.

Yep, I made the last few linear-algebra package releases and I always have
linear-algebra installed with pkg --auto <other_options>.
Is equally valid for io & mapping I'm afraid.

So that's why it is set to autoload..... good to know, I think I'll fix the
<package>.html before uploading to the tracker. I think this could be
mentioned on the "developers" page on the octave-forge site.

Philip