Re: in-tree builds and recursive make invocations

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: in-tree builds and recursive make invocations
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 15:37:34 -0400

On 07/13/2015 11:46 AM, Rik wrote:

I do in-tree builds.

I typically don't, but unless it becomes very difficult to make in-tree builds work, I don't see any reason to not allow them.

The following changes should fix the problems you were seeing.

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/10f67e9d1e70
  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ff56b738854c

I see now why the out of source tree builds are not affected. The rm -f commands would attempt to remove the files from the build tree and they don't exist there.

I also found how the README file was being deleted even though it never appeared to be explicitly deleted. The maintainer-clean target for the doxyhtml directory was to blame.

I've tested the maintainer-clean target in a source tree build and it seems to work properly now with the changesets I've checked in over the last few days.

Sorry for the disruption.

I'll be working on improving the way that we handle generated files next. I'll try to prevent rebuilding everything just because the Makefile or a module.mk file is touched.