Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 20:02:21 -0400

> On Jul 24, 2015, at 5:55 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 23, 2015, at 11:29 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 20:31:07 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>> I’ve attached the errors.
>>
>> Ben, your errors look exactly like bug #41178 without the
>> ov-classdef.patch applied. In particular, the following
>>
>>> ./libinterp/octave-value/ov-classdef.h:441:71: note: in instantiation of
>>> template class
>>>
>>> 'std::__1::__map_const_iterator<std::__1::__tree_const_iterator<std::__1::__value_type<cdef_class,
>>>  std::__1::list<cdef_class, std::__1::allocator<cdef_class> > >,
>>>     std::__1::__tree_node<std::__1::__value_type<cdef_class,
>>> std::__1::list<cdef_class, std::__1::allocator<cdef_class> > >, void *> *,
>>> long> >' requested here
>>> void mark_as_constructed (const cdef_class& cls) { ctor_list.erase (cls); }
>>
>> looks to me like your ov-classdef.h has not been patched at all. Are you
>> sure your build is applying the patch successfully?
>>
>> --
>> mike
>
> Ok. Nice catch. I wrote a bash script to apply the patches. The classdef
> patch did not apply due to an error associated with the “include-fix.patch"
>
> PatchFile2="../patches/include-fix.patch"
> patch -p1 < ${PatchFile2}
> patching file libinterp/corefcn/comment-list.h
> patching file libinterp/corefcn/oct.h
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
>
> I looked over the patch and have fixed the problem. I also had trouble with
> applying the clang patch. It patches liboctave/Makefile.in, which is no
> longer part of Octave’s sources.
>
> I’m trying to build the default branch … so maybe something changed since 4.0
> or maybe the clang patch is intended for 3.8.x? In either event, I’ve
> attached patches which apply for me.
>
> My build eventually fails because icotool is missing.
>
> ./build-aux/missing: line 81: icotool: command not found
> WARNING: 'icotool' is missing on your system.
>         You might have modified some files without having the proper
>         tools for further handling them.  Check the 'README' file, it
>         often tells you about the needed prerequisites for installing
>         this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in
>         case some other package contains this missing 'icotool' program.
> Makefile:28049: recipe for target 'etc/icons/octave-logo.ico' failed
> make[2]: *** [etc/icons/octave-logo.ico] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> '/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/default/sources'
> Makefile:25736: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> '/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/default/sources'
> Makefile:9873: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Even so, the gui runs and the qt toolkit functions!
>
> For any Fink users, what I’ve done is …
>
> hg purge
> hg pull
> [...]

I edited the Makefile and commented out reference to ICOTOOL. The build process
then ends when it is necessary to build eps-files.

  GEN      doc/interpreter/voronoi.eps
error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering was disabled when
Octave was built
error: called from
    __opengl_print__ at line 171 column 7
    print at line 431 column 14
    geometryimages at line 55 column 5
Makefile:27810: recipe for target 'doc/interpreter/voronoi.eps’ failed

For Mac OSX, support for osmesa and icotool is needed.

Ben