Re: Unexpected behavior of "configure" "make" and __osmesa_print__.cc

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Unexpected behavior of "configure" "make" and __osmesa_print__.cc
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:13:48 -0400

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 12:00:35 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
> $ hg id
> 31f89b12aaf7+ tip @
>
> Configure did not find my osmesa
>
> configure:77609: WARNING: OSMesa library not found.  Offscreen rendering with
> OpenGL will be disabled.
> configure:77804:
> configure:77806: NOTE: Libraries or auxiliary programs may be skipped if they
> are
> configure:77808: NOTE: not found OR if they are missing required features on
> your
> configure:77810: NOTE: system.
>
> However, “make” still compiles __osmesa_print__.cc

I suspect it's compiled but mostly #ifdef'd out. So the function
__osmesa_print__ is probably callable from the shell, but it should
print something like

>   GEN      doc/interpreter/voronoi.eps
> error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering was disabled when
> Octave was built
> error: called from
>     __opengl_print__ at line 171 column 7
>     print at line 431 column 14
>     geometryimages at line 55 column 5

which looks exactly correct to me.

The only bug here is that building the documentation now unconditionally
relies on osmesa.

I think like I replied in the other thread, I think it might be
worthwhile to fix the doc/interpreter/*.m scripts to do something like

  if (! octave_config_info.HAVE_OSMESA)
    graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");
  endif

or if it's more acceptable, change the figures to be "visible" while
building the docs.

--
mike