Re: Choosing graphics backend for documentation

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Choosing graphics backend for documentation
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 12:51:35 -0500

On 07/27/2015 11:36 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 17:14:16 +0100, Michael Godfrey wrote:
The way I wrote the preliminary version of this, it fell back to
gnuplot (if available), but I am not sure that this is really a
good idea. Having copies of the Manual built with problems
may not be helpful.

Agreed. Are you mostly referring to bug #42838 (black plot area with gnuplot 5)?

I think using -epsc should fix most problems.

gnuplot added a "mono" option to its terminal settings, but developers have claimed not being sure exactly what that is supposed to mean anymore. I think Octave folks might think of that as being grayscale, whereas for gnuplot I'm not sure, could be "single tone". (Hence, any non-white color gets mapped to black.) I've suggested to gnuplot developers that terminals have mono/grayscale/color options, but it may be that gnuplot developers have concentrated more on color behavior lately and view mono as something not very common anymore.

Also, there may have been an Octave change to make -deps mean grayscale for compatibility reasons.

And then there is the change whereby Octave first generates EPS output then uses some external conversion utility to create all other formats.

All of these changes seemed to happen at the same time making the gnuplot behavior appear dodgy.

Would a gnuplot "grayscale" setting (as opposed to "mono") help? Another approach is to always use color gnuplot options, but have Octave gnuplot "driver" use psuedo-grayscale by making all three color channels the same.

Dan