Re: print command

From: Rik
Subject: Re: print command
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:42:06 -0700

On 07/30/2015 11:48 AM, Michael Godfrey wrote:
Rik,

There seem to be good reasons for coding print() to always
do the printing with visible off for qt and fltk:

1. This avoids the window flickering that seems to accompany the
    printing (if it works at all).
2. This avoids possible problems with graphics hardware versions.

I think we're screwed either way with bug reports pertaining to gl2ps through the visible path or osmesa through the invisible one.  Savannah has several open bug reports about osmesa including failures with Nvidia cards are installed or in MXE-Octave.  See bugs #44478 and #44438.

--Rik

3. There may be some efficiency loss due to not using hardware,
    but this should be minor in nearly all cases.
4. This is the only mode that works in the current system.

So, for the next incremental release, this could be implemented.
Then, if most of the problems with the software get fixed the change
back to running with visible on could be turned back on.

As a minimum this would reduce many complaints from users who
try print xxx and see a crash (often seg fault).

Just a suggestion...

Michael