Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 09:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 03:54:44 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
>> Anyway, images that I save with "print" from Octave 4 on Yosemite are
>> entirely black (I will check if the bug is also present when disabling
>> osmesa).
>
> To be clear, is this with graphics_toolkit set to qt?
>
> And are you printing on-screen figures, or figures with "visible" set to
> false? The osmesa library is only used for the latter (I'm *not* ruling
> out that it could be causing a problem somehow).
>
> The osmesa support was brought in by Andreas Weber, I don't know if
> he'll be able to help much with OSX though (like myself).
>
> From one of his earlier messages on the topic:
>
>>> If someone wants a direct capture he can still use
>>> img = __osmesa_print__ (gcf);
>>> imwrite (img, "out.png");
>>>
>>> which is also a good addition for debugging purposes to bypass gl2ps and
>>> ghostscript.
>
> Might be interesting to try that.
>
> --
> mike

Thanks Mike. Although the configure script indicated that osmesa should be
working, it does not:

error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering was disabled when
Octave was built

the "black square" problem comes from gnuplot 5 that was used by octave
(without telling me) instead of osmesa. So I will have to start debugging
osmesa again :(