Re: lsqnonlin and nonlin_residmin

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: lsqnonlin and nonlin_residmin
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 16:34:25 +0200

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 02:39:15PM +0100, Asma Afzal wrote:
> > I don't find these help pages, could you give me a pointer to them?
>
> It's a bit indirect. When you type these commands:
>
> optimoptions('fmincon') or optim.options.Fmincon
>
> double click on the created object and open the link to
> "optim.options.Fmincon" in the variables tab. It opens a browser
> window in Matlab
> "Web Browser- Matlab File Help: optim.options.Fmincon"

I have no Matlab installed, and I'm not sure if we can use information
on implementation details from its inbuilt help for coding.

I thought you could implement a class, as documented in current stable
Octave, for options objects. I didn't think it's necessary that the
implementation details are similar to what Matlab does. But I seem to
be missing something.

You seem to talk of 'optim.options.Fmincon' as being a function call
which is not associated to a variable. If so, this syntax is unknown
to me and I can't help, sorry. Or is 'optim' an ordinary structure
variable and its subfield 'options.Fmincon' an options object? But
then you couldn't access it whithin called functions without making
'optim' global...

Olaf